NEXT MEETING THIS COMING TUESDAY OCTOBER 13TH - at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science
2nd FLOOR - room 201 - 6 P.M.
Speaker: Ron Larson, Ph.D.
Title: BIOCHAR: A POTENTIALLY NEW REVOLUTION IN FARMING AND NEW TOOL IN CARBON SEQUESTRATION - including Results on Biochar conference August 2009, Boulder Colorado.
Please ENTER VIA VOLUNTEER DESK TO LEFT OF MAIN ENTRANCE
TUESDAY: ELEMENTS OF RON'S TALK THIS TUESDAY:
· Producing Biochar: Will list the known ways to produce and explain present procedures and hurdles
· Biochar's impact on climate and soils: Will discuss recent research and theories on why Biochar works
· Biochar and energy: Will identify several options and projections for subsidiary thermal, fuels, and electrical energy
· Biochar's other benefits: Will run through a half dozen other aspects of Biochar that are driving its progress
· Biochar's hurdles:
o Will discuss what will slow and/or is slowing Biochar's progress - who is opposing and why.
o Will discuss his fight with one small (but vocal) London-based group, who view Biochar as a Biofuel (a rainforest destroyer)
· What it will take to have a big impact: Will discuss his work on what it will take to achieve up to ten wedges of negative carbon (sequestering 10 gigatons C/yr)
· The Boulder Conference (August 2009), IBI, USBI, and other information venues: Will identify the changes seen in last five years and his own personal involvement in each activity
· The Copenhagen Conference and other policy arenas: Will discuss what might happen in Copenhagen and elsewhere to help promote Biochar
FOR A BIO/RESUME OF RON LARSON: